Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Design is the Problem - and the Solution?


With so many books on my list that I wanted to read, finding the time along with a steady concentration is no easy feat. However, I recently came to learn about how a former design college professor's book - Design is the Problem was released. I was extremely excited to purchase it and pour through its pages right away because I remember thinking that Nathan was a different sort of designer (and design instructor) altogether with what seemed like a more expansive train of thought of how design could be applied in a more profound manner. He challenged the thought of limiting the application of our design techniques to products or even services alone - but to rethink and apply them to entire systems instead with special thought to its life cycle along with its collective impact.

It was this class taught by Nathan along with another great design professor, Ian MacColl, that we as a class researched and addressed the issues of modern day air travel. By the end of the semester, it resulted in the inception of a fictitious airline brand: Ascend, our perception of what an ideal modern-day airline should be. Following our research, we students proceeded to individually design products/services that fit into specific parts of an air travel experience. I personally thoroughly enjoyed this course and it resulted in what today is one of my favorite pieces from my student career - Ascend Enlightenment. (For more information about my Ascend Enlightenment project, you can visit my portfolio here - and for more information about Ascend airlines along with the other student projects, you can visit our college website here)

Anyway, back to his book - so I am only 40 pages in so far, but am already excited about reading ahead. Nathan is once again challenging the 'designer' within all of us to rethink and reapply our creative, problem-solving potential towards entire experiences and systems - even older established systems such as the economy. Though he is not the only one to ask this question (find another compelling example here), it is an interesting, refreshing notion to say the least. One that pushes the boundaries of how and where design is applied.

Actually, this specific design philosophy deeply resonates with my own thoughts about design which has been a struggle because as a designer, I do question myself at times about where my efforts lead to: simply to contribute yet another product to the sea of commodities that are deemed obsolete the moment they hit the shelves? To promote a lifestyle where consumers are persuaded to believe that they need to buy something and replace an older one which could be working just as well? And all for what? To 'keep up with the trends' or be considered 'out of touch?' Therein lies the challenge of rethinking everything and do more than simply creating something superficial and short-lived.
[/rant]

By the way, if any of you are interested, you can find more about his book here and if you do happen to read it, I would certainly like to know what your afterthoughts were. I will come back to update once I myself have finished the book.

No comments: